Fan’s first saw Vegito in action against Majin Buu in Dragon Ball Z, and we saw that he was one powerful dude. Gogeta existed in non-canon material for years before The Dragon Ball Super: Broly movie brought him officially into existence. Since then, fans everywhere have been debating who would win in a fight between Gogeta and Vegito, and ultimately which is the better method of fusing two warriors together; the fusion dance or the Potaro fusion.
Vegito is the more powerful fighter than Gogeta, as Potaro Fusion gives a bigger boost to power levels than the Fusion Dance. But both fusions are limited, and either Gogeta or Vegito could exploit a weakness in either fusion to win a fight.
Table of Contents
Who is Gogeta?
Gogeta is the fused body of both Goku and Vegeta after performing the Fusion Dance.
The Fusion dance is a technique in which two fighters which equal power levels perform a quick dance that fuses them for 30 minutes and combines their fighting power.
It was taught to Goku by the Metamoran race. If this dance is done wrong, then the result is a weaker fighter that can’t be unfused for 30 minutes.
Gogeta made his first appearance during the Dragon Ball Super: Broly movie when Goku and Vegeta are struggling to defeat the Legendary Super Saiyan alone and need the fusion dance to overpower Broly.
Who is Vegito?
Vegito, like Gogeta, is the fusion between Vegeta and Goku, but this time using the Potora Earings.
When each fighter puts one Earring on opposite ears, they become fused together.
If they are Gods, the fusion is permanent, but if they are mortals, the fusion only lasts up to an hour but can be cut short if too much power is used up.
Vegito is first seen fighting Majin Buu in Dragon Ball Z and then again fighting Fused Zamasu in Dragon Ball Super.
Which fusion is safer to do? Winner: Vegito
When looking at which technique is safer to use than Potara is definitely easier and safer.
All it requires is clipping on a couple of earrings, and boom, you are fused.
However, the Fusion dance requires a lot of practice and can go very wrong if any mistake is made.
Sometimes in the heat of battle, it’s hard to get the technique right, and making a mistake could easily cost you the battle.
Which fusion is more common? Winner: Gogeta
Although Potara earings are easier to use, they are also very rare.
They only belong to Kais, and there are only a few Kai’s in each universe. Unless you are friends with the Kai’s, there is very little chance of you getting a Potara Earring.
This makes the fusion dance a much better technique for 99.99999% of the universe who don’t have access to the Earring.
So in this respect, Gogeta is much more likely to show up than Vegito.
Potaro Fusion Vs Fusion Dance Power? Winner: Vegito
While there is no official ruling on which transformation is more powerful, it’s possible to figure out which transformation has more raw power based on information from the show.
We believe that with Goku and Vegeta at the same power levels, Vegito will always be more powerful than Gogeta for the following reasons.
- Fusion Dance requires both warriors to be at the exact same level. This involves one person having to lower their power level. Trunks had to lower his level to match Goten and Goku had to lower his power level to equal Vegeta. Potaro Fusion doesn’t have such a rule, meaning both warriors can fuse with full power. This means that Vegito will always have a stronger base to start from than Gogeta.
- Vegito was so powerful that he could take on Super Buu in his base form, while SSJ3 Gotenks was only on the same level as Super Buu. We know that Super Saiyan Trunks was stronger than Base Vegeta due to their fight in the Gravity Machine. Therefore if Super Saiyan Trunks and Goten are stronger than base Goku and Vegeta, but base Vegito is stronger than SSJ3 Gotenks, then we know that the Potora fusion must be more powerful than the fusion dance for Base Vegito to be more powerful than Gotenks. So Potaro is definitely a more powerful fusion.
- Elder Kai stated that Potaro fusion’s was more powerful in the anime but in manga that the effect was greater. While some think Elder Kai is only talking about the time limit and general ease of use, this could also mean the Potaro generates a stronger fighter. Elder Kai didn’t say the fusion was longer or easier to do. He said the effect was greater, which I interpret as more powerful. However, I admit this is a weak rationale and not that conclusive. All we know if Elder Kai thinks Potaro fusion is better, and the dude knows his stuff.
- Vegito is surprised at his power level when Goku and Vegeta fuse using the Potaro Earring. The Goku part of Vegito’s brain knows how powerful the Fusion Dance is, so if he is surprised by the power level, that would indicate that Potaro is a more powerful fusion technique. Goku is the only fighter that has experienced both types of Fusion, and his react indicates Potaro is better than the Dance.
Which fusion lasts longer? Winner: Vegito
The Fusion Dance has a strict 30-minute time limit, but Potaro Fusion has a time limit of up to 1 hour.
However, SSB Vegito against merged Zamasu only lasted 15 minutes due to the power consumption of the Super Kamehameha.
So there are several different scenarios that could happen when Gogeta fights Vegito.
- Vegito blasts Gogeta and beats him in under 15 minutes due to his superior power level.
- Gogeta causes Vegito to use up loads of energy, so Vegito splits up after 15 minutes, and then Gogeta can take out the individual parts.
- Vegito conserves energy for 30 minutes and then beats up the individual parts of Gogeta.
It seems that Vegito has the advantage when it comes to a greater range of tactics. He can either brute force Gogeta and win quickly or outlast him. Gogeta would have to play some serious mind games to get Vegito to use up all his energy but still survive, but it’s still possible for Gogeta to outlast Vegito.
Gogeta Vs Vegito – Final Thoughts
All evidence seems to suggest that Vegito has the stronger fusion, and although it has limitations, would probably be able to win in a one-on-one fight to the death.
However, the fusion dance is a much better all-round technique, can be used by more people and doesn’t haven’t any silly energy usage rules.
Either way, the fusion technique was a great addition to the lore of Dragon Ball, and the moment when Goku is considering fusing with Mr Satan is absolutely hilarious.
We leave you with a clip of Goku imaging what it’s like to fuse with the greatest alive himself, Mr Satan.